FFII UK is the UK Chapter of the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII), a pan European network of programmers, academics, lawyers and companies defending a healthy competition in the field of software development.
Mainly known for defeating the CII / software patent directive at the European Parliament in 2005, FFII has been campaigning over the past fifteen years to protect innovation against patent inflation.
While FFII mostly focuses on European and International regulations, such as ACTA and TTIP, FFII UK seeks to educate British citizens about legal and political issues affecting their digital environment.
Rumour is that the Government and the IP Minister Jo Johnson wants to ratify the UPC without a vote in Parliament(s) on the 7th of March 2017, with a fallback plan to have it signed by the end of March 2017, before Brexit article 50 is active.
FFII UK is made of volunteers concerned about freedoms related to our information society. You can join by subscribing to UK-PARL, the FFII public mailing list for UK-focussed discussion on software patents; alternatively and for further information feel free to simply contact our core team:
- Alex Macfie: alex.macfie [at] ffii.org.uk
FFII activities imply the use of multiple websites. Here are a few links we recommend:
- FFII dot ORG: the main website of the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure
- UK-PARL: the FFII public mailing list for UK-related discussion on software patents
- ACTA FFII: information and analysis about the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
- Remember July 6th 2005: commemorating the Software Patent Directive Rejection
FFII is registered as nonprofit organisation in various European countries. Whereas its main office is located in Munich, Germany, each National chapter operates independently. To make a donation to FFII UK you can either use Paypal, or proceed with a bank transfer.
Make a donation with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure:
Proceed with a bank transfer:
- Account: 65188365 - Sort Code: 089299
- Name: FFII UK - Keyword: ffii_uk
Extra details for International donors:
- IBAN: GB87CPBK08929965188365 - BIC: CPBKGB22
- Bank name: Co-operative Bank - Country: United Kingdom
- Bank address: PO Box 250, Skelmersdale WN8 6WT